Sunday, November 30, 2008

Anja Schwalen

What I remember most about Erin.

It's funny, and maybe a little trivial, but what first comes to mind was that we went to see Vickie and Walter after they just had Erin. I remember being very surprised that they had another baby after Davis, who was about 10. Anyway, we went to your house and Erin was a tiny redhead rolling on the floor. I remember saying: "Oh, she has red hair - that's amazing" or something like that, because neither Vickie nor Walter are real redheads.

Another thing that sticks out for me about Erin is how well she seems to get along with many different kids, maybe because she has a wide array of interests and isn't bossy, but personable. I know that both our kids, Sandy and Tommy, really like her, and the two don't agree on too many things these days.

What I have come to admire over the past six years is the courage and vigor she has shown while dealing with her disease. It has been inspiring to see how she has lived life to the fullest, something that many of us fail to do, even if we get to live a hundred years. I am sure that many of her friends will agree.

About me: I am Anja, and I was born in Germany (a long time ago). Vickie and Walter are literally the first people I met in College Station when I came over in 1990 to visit my future husband Walter K. for the first time. I remember we had lunch at CafĂ© Eccell and Bob Calvert was with us, too. Back then, Davis was a toddler J and very active….I remember thinking: "There seem to be at least some nice people around here - maybe I could get used to this country after all…"

I love languages; although I majored in Spanish, I have mostly taught German over the past 15 years, trying to convey the European perspective on things to my students, more or less successfully I think. Books are my constant companion; I love to read autobiographies and theological stuff. Our family enjoys long road trips through the American West, tent camping (most of the time), and going to Germany and Holland in the summer.

No comments: