Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mara Stiles


I'm one of your dedicated supporters, hailing from the rolling and wooded hills of north central New Jersey! (Yes, New Jersey is not completely paved over and in this part of the state we do have woods and hills and bears, too!)

I also love to read about all the things you do at school and in your after school activites. I especially remember your kindness to animals, even to a little caterpillar! And It was you who saw all the possibility of a fine companion in Teddy and asked to bring her home

We love you, Erin!

PS

Favorite books growing up included Thornton Burgess animal stories (for younger children), Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, horse stories by CW Anderson and Walter Farley, Nancy Drew books, "An Otter's Story" by Emil LIers, "A Diamond in the Window" by Jane Langton, The Phantom Tollbooth and many more.

Perhaps you've read some of them?

And then I discovered Tolkien! The Hobbitt and The Lord of the Rings were my reigning favorites for decades and still top my list!

Not that there weren't more authors that became favorites. In that category, that would be Thoreau and, for his short stories, Nathaniel Hawthorne.

I'm also interested in history and the presidents. Here I am in Plymouth, Vermont at the Calvin Coolidge Historical site!

No comments: