Sunday, November 30, 2008

Kathy Sustaire

How honored I was to repeatedly have you as one of my tribal children in VBS. You would appear like magic whenever I sat down, hop into my lap and snuggle in for a spell. Then you would pop up, give me a hug and off you’d go. Then came July 2002. I knew you were on my ‘list’ but I had no idea if you would be there. Then, the side door of the sanctuary opened and there you were. I will never be able to fathom what it took for your Mom to bring you to me and turn to leave just like she did every year on the first day. Neither your mom nor I uttered a sound but the look we shared said it all. You found your nametag and snuggled onto my lap for our opening activities. You made the week in customary Erin style. I made the week also, and all my kids had a ball. They never knew that one of their ‘siblings’ was never out of my sight or farther than my arm could reach. Sweet, adorable, wonderful, astonishing, amazing Erin, you took my heart the first time I saw you, with your huge sparkly smile, beautiful twinkly eyes and wonderful zest for life. When I look at you now, I still see that special little child, but I also see the amazing young lady you have become. What a delightful gift of God you are! The world is a better place because of you.


In the summer of 2007, your amazing Mom wanted to know why we all checked your blog and if anyone read it all the way to the bottom. I have decided, if your Mom agrees, to share my answer to that question with the Erin Project.

[From August 2007: “Since you asked……”

I regularly check in (and read all the way to the bottom) because the Buengers are very special to me. Yes, all of them. Vickie, you and I clicked way back when on the tennis courts, way before both Erin and Rusty (and maybe even Davis?) I do remember when the two of you were shuttling back and forth between CS and Stanford, wasn’t it? Then we had the great adventure of the mixed doubles tennis team. What a blast! Then, I retired due to the impending arrival of Rusty and you kept on going. Then, along came our Erin and you kept on going. What a delight she is! Such a beautiful sparkly smile and ever so twinkly eyes with just the perfect touch of devilment in them. Quite an amazingly miraculous young lady and so smart! Then, I volunteered on the Gardening Group at FPC and became better acquainted with the other Dr. Buenger. The one who talks so far above my head it’s embarrassing, but always seemed just to smile and tolerate my chattering away at him about whatever was on my mind. As we dug up shrubs and planted shrubs and tackled all manner of weeds in overgrown beds and discussed the wisdom/peril of even thinking about removing certain items, Walter was the one who encouraged me to become an Elder and I am so thankful that I listened to him. I had to believe that I could do it if he thought that I could! And, then there’s Davis. How he’s grown into such a handsome man! Remember those plaid pants that he wore every Sunday for a time? Always so mannerly and gentlemanly. I am so proud to say that I have a friend that is taking Rice University by storm(and duct tape and other strange things!). I am also so proud of his maturity in handling the incident in the hotel in Houston and of his being so sensitive toward Erin’s comfort in whisking her away to safety. Wow! What a man you have raised.


I am in total awe of the way your family has handled the whole NB journey. I am so thankful that we still have such a healthy Erin to love. I am thankful that I have such friends. I am thankful that you so freely share the details of your lives with all of us who love you.

I have to go now because I can no longer see what I’m typing……

Love and huge hugs to you all!!!!!

ks]


Well it’s happened again…..I’ve got to find a tissue!

I still can’t find the picture I’ve been looking for, but will send it on when it surfaces!

Love to you all,

No comments: