Sunday, November 30, 2008

Brooke Robertshaw



I don't know Erin in person, just through the words on her blog. I'm amazed with her ability to do so much in one day, really - I wish I could do half as much as Erin does in a day! I'm particularly taken with her willingness not to let anything stop her in pursuing her love of soccer. I was once an athlete too (whitewater slalom kayaking) and so I understand pushing through for the love of sport. I also relate with Erin's love of her animals, I know how important they can be in rough moments and moments of joy. Erin, and the rest of her family, is in my daily prayers.

A little about me? I'm a 3rd year PhD student (Erin's site is GREAT for procrastinating!) in Instructional Technology at Utah State University, a knitter, and a peace and human justice activist. I am also active in my church community, First Presbyterian Church of Logan. I live here in Logan, UT was born and raised in Blacksburg, Va (by 2 retired PhD's - my father was an engineering professor and my mother an administrator at Va Tech) but my home now is Eugene, Oregon. I have 2 cats - Ava, a very codependent little white cat, and Max - an orange and white cat who's favorite toys are all my white Mac & Ipod related cords. My favorite movies include The Parent Trap (the original), The Life and Times of David Gale, and Finding Neverland. My favorite books are Long Quiet Highway by Natalie Goldberg, Practicing Peace in Times of War by Pema Chodron, the Handbook of Ethical Research with Ethnocultural Populations and Communities, and, I have to admit, sometimes I still pick up one of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary - I really do love Ramona.


-- Activism is being a voice for the voiceless, standing up for the weak and the frail, engaging the human spirit. I am an activist because being an activist makes me feel alive. ~Anita Roddick, founder The Body Shop ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Meaning exists neither in us, nor in the world, but in the dynamic relation of living in the world." ~Etienne Wenger

No comments: