Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Wunneburgers


Hello Buengers,


Here’s an entry for The Erin Project.


I have a Word document called “Quotekeepers.” It’s a running list of those that come to me at the bottom of emails or through internet ramblings or whatever. They are thoughts that I am not clever enough to create or eloquent enough to put into words but make me stop and smile or maybe offer an “Amen.”


This photo pretty much sums up our take on Billy Graham’s quote, "A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerate the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearable." I’m pretty sure that we epitomize every one of those offenses here. This was taken a couple of years ago after a wedding. Yes, Aaron is wearing a tux as he was an acolyte for the service. Throughout elementary school, he had quite a run of wedding appearances. We were considering making a business card and hiring him out to strangers. Why would we come home from a wedding, pull out our horns and take a picture? I’m not sure but I suspect it was time for our annual Happy New Year card that never got printed or mailed. Whatever the reason, I’m glad the kids humored their parents. There is a more reverent version too but this is one of my favorite family photos. It reminds me of the Christmas that the Wunneburger Family Band wowed family and friends with their rousing polka-style rendition of Jingle Bells. Abby laid down a solid “oom,” Anne a crisp “pah” and Aaron kept steady time with the jingle bells. I suppose we should make a new photo now that Aaron has his own “ax” (as in the trombone, not one-to-grind).

I hope this made you smile and reassures you that other kids also have parents who exert their love upon their children in strange yet wonderful ways.

No comments: