Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sarah Radencic


One picture is from Dublin on St. Patrick’s Day and the other is from London Bridge in 2003. My mom took me there and to England for Spring Break together. It was a special treat to get to be in Ireland on such a special day. One of my grandma’s is 100% Irish and then there is a “wee bit” on the other half of my family. I wanted to share some of my favorite Erin moments, since I have had trouble narrowing them down to just one or two. Even though I have only known Erin for less than a year, she is enriching my life in so many ways. I know that there are many more than these, but I tried to not hog a lot of space! So…here they go:


~The first day I met her, with her feet not touching the floor from her chair, she had the brightest, warmest smile I have ever seen – with a sparkle in her eye. She was still in 5th grade and I just kept thinking WOW, I can’t wait to have that sparkle in my Science class!


~At the beginning of the school year Erin, her mom and I were talking and I can’t really remember what brought on the comment other than we were talking about all the choices of clubs and the like you have in middle school. I think I said something about with all the choices you could find what you really like or are good at. However, I will never forget Erin’s response of “I’m good at everything I try” – and she was!!! If only all children, and adults, had that outlook they would accomplish things of the imagination.


~Warm Donuts on a Friday morning while Erin told me the story about the character they forgot to mention in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry – the red haired penguin. She was reading the book at the time and had brought a picture to show me of this elusive character. Was a pretty cute penguin that looked very excited by a fight by two manly looking girls!


~Getting to hang with Erin and Jackson at Texas Children’s while they built a huge Star Wars craft out of Lego’s (amazing accomplishment to me since all the pieces seemed to be black, grey or white). It was a little peek into her world and I was glad she let me in.


~Hissing Cockroaches at the Girl’s Science Day at A&M – never have I been brave enough to hold them, till Erin did and told me it wasn’t bad at all. They were almost cute, almost!


~We had a debate in class about drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Erin was on the “anti-drill” side and I will for ever be impressed by her insight and pointed arguments – how many 6th graders would bring up the Carter administration’s influence on our gas mileage and know that was a good argument against drilling in Alaska.


~One day at lunch when it was one of those warm fall days and Erin had begun to where hats, I looked over to see Erin standing with her head tilted up towards the sun – eyes closed and hat off – soaking in the sunlight and warmth. She looked so happy just to be standing there, embracing the sun. It is one of my favorite peaceful images that can always make me smile.


~Getting to eat lunch with Erin in the teacher’s lounge during practice testing for a week was a big treat for me – telling me about recipes and her yummy lunches. It was great to get that quiet time just gab about nothing of super importance.


~The day of Wii – I got to see Erin filled with speechless excitement, the smiles on some of her closest friends faces, and her mom beam at her happiness. I was so appreciative to have been able to be a small part of that.


~The cocked-eye look when something is totally absurd or ridiculous – priceless, as are the giggles.


~Running around the room giggling insanely with a green pillow person, swinging his arms –and hers- wildly…everyone got a good laugh at that one. Way to break up the stress of practice TAKS test. It was great!


~When Erin felt comfortable enough with me to lean on me during lunch outside time if she was tired, cold or just wanted to chat.


~Erin and family recently introduced me to the wonders of Boggle (which I am in desperate need of practice). I had never played the game, but how fun!! Thank you for teaching me such a fun new game. It was more fun than Scrabble (for me).


~Everyday with her smile, the sparkle, her excitement about learning, and kind words to everyone she saw.


~Talks about politics, the environment, alternative energy sources, Chet, plasma cars (so super cool!!!), Lego’s, our dogs, horses, how our Dad’s are named Walter, funny stories about the Pips, about places we have traveled, crazy things kids can do, flying cars…so many topics and I loved getting to talk about everyone of them.

1 comment:

girllie_girl said...

Mrs. Radencic It's Me Chelsea in your 5th period class, I love your story about erin. she was amazing and it's really sad that she won't be coming back to school, everyone that knew her is very sad about that. AND YOUR AWESOME MRS. RADENCIC AND ERIN!!!! :):):) :3:3^-^ ^-^ :-D:-D