Friday, November 21, 2008

Madge Luquette


Having lived next door to Erin for nine years, there are so many stories I could tell about her that it is hard to limit this to just one. I think I'll tell my favorite Erin story, which gives a little insight her unique ability to relate to and empathize with other people. If you are around Erin for any length of time, you will find that she very quickly can read how you are feeling and will always find the right word or action to boost your spirits, make you feel better, or more comfortable. If you are down, she brings you up. If you are happy, she shares your joy. If you are angry, she calms you down. It is as if she were born knowing how to make people feel accepted and wanted.

One day, shortly after I had moved to Bryan (Erin was probably about two years old), I was out in my yard and Walter walked up carrying Erin (At that time Walter was known as "Carra Me" because whenever Erin would see him, she would hold up her little arms and say "Carra Me, Daddy" and, of course, Walter was overjoyed to do just that). We chatted for a while, and I was turning to go to my house, when Erin piped up and said, "Come to my house, Moo. Have a beer". It was so funny to hear such a little tyke play the role of commodious hostess. To me, it showed an awareness at a very young age of the niceities of social interactions and how to be gracious to others. She has the ability to make you feel special without it seeming to be artifice. Erin has touched to hearts of many people with the beauty of her soul and her strength of character. I am a better person for being a part of her life.

No comments: