Sunday, November 30, 2008

Meg Beneville



Hi! My name is Meg, and I came across Erin's website pretty recently (maybe 2 months ago?). I'm 17 and a senior in high school, and I've been so inspired by Erin!! I really admire her cheerful personality and her wonderful smile! It amazes me how busy and involved she is with school and her activities! One thing I love about Erin is her true individuality-- she knows exactly what her interests are, and pursues them thoroughly. At her age I think that is pretty rare and certainly very commendable! She fights her cancer with such grace and determination, and I am very grateful to you for allowing me to "know" her through your words.

As I mentioned, I'm a senior in high school in a town 45 minutes from New York City. I follow a bunch of children's stories online because it is a cause that has affected me personally. One of my best friends died from relapsed ALL just four days after her fourteenth birthday, on December 8, 2004, when I was in eighth grade. Today (the day I'm writing this) is the anniversary of her death, and I figured this would be a good day to submit my part of the Erin project. My friend Nora was always so caring towards other people, so it feels right that I picked today to help Erin in this small way. I've raised over $9000 for childhood cancer research at Memorial Sloan Kettering, where Nora was treated-- last year I organized a read-a-thon in her memory (http://readfornora.pledgepage.org if you want to take a look!) Reading was something Nora and I both loved, so it was a great way to honor her memory. I know Erin likes to read too-- there's nothing better than a good book! Has she read the book Inkheart by Cornelia Funke? If not, I really recommend it, I read it when I was about Erin's age and it is still one of my favorites. Besides reading, I also love horseback riding, singing, piano, learning languages (I want to major in french and/or japanese in college) and travelling!! Anyway, that's all I can think of right now!

Thank you for sharing Erin and your family's story with me! She is such an inspiration.

No comments: